Whether your woodworking endeavors include cutting boards, furniture, home accents or other items, a band saw can help you create high-quality edges and other complex details in your projects, your tool collection should include a band saw like the WEN 3962.
Band saws are not only adept at making crosscuts and rip cuts, but their thin, powerful blade is perfect for making precise cuts around edges and curves. Additionally, band saws can be used to cut metal and other materials as well as wood.
Most residential-grade band saws are vertically configured, with a stationary blade assembly; the blades move vertically to cut the wood or other material as the user slides it along the saw table.
On the other hand, many commercial-level band saws feature a horizontal configuration, in which the cutting material remains stationary while the user moves the saw blade horizontally to complete the cut.
What to Look for in a Band Saw
As you compare band saw models, you’ll want to consider the following characteristics:
Our Pick: WEN 3962 Two-Speed 10-inch Band Saw
For woodworking projects and modest home repairs and renovations, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better band saw for the money than the WEN 3962 Two-Speed 10-Inch Band Saw. Its 3.5-amp motor offers two speeds—1,520 FPM and 2,620 FPM—so you can tailor the power level to the task at hand, and its operation is surprisingly quiet given the muscle behind the motor. The saw comes with a 72-inch, 3/8-inch blade, but can accommodate a range of blade sizes to handle a variety of applications and materials.
The saw is relatively lightweight for its class and includes a durable 25-inch stand to stabilize and elevate the work surface. Its sturdy aluminum fence and easy-to-use miter gauge ensure precision with every cut, and both can be used in tandem with the bevel feature, which tilts the table up to 45 degrees to the right to produce angled cuts of up to 6 inches in depth.
WEN has also included multiple safety features into the saw to protect users from injury. The stand not only stabilizes the tool, but also reduces the likelihood of kickback. Integrated guide rollers center the blade, both improving accuracy and minimizing deflection to prevent users’ hands from getting too close to the blade.
Other handy features include an LED light mounted behind the blade, which can be adjusted to better illuminate the work surface and enhance visibility and accuracy. The dust port can be tailored to fit hoses of 1.75 inches, 2.75 inches and 4 inches, making it compatible with virtually any shop vac or other dust collection device.
Most importantly, the WEN 3962 Two-Speed 10-inch Band Saw comes with the company’s legendary customer service and a two-year warranty, so your satisfaction with this versatile tool is guaranteed.
NOTE: For more information about what the best type of cutting board oil can do for your newly built butting boards, check out our in-depth dive: 5 Picks: The Best Cutting Board Oil For The Perfect Boards
WEN 3962: Specifications
- Weight: 74 pounds
- Motor: 3.5-amp
- Speed: 1,520 or 2,620 FPM
- Blade: 72-inch (1/8 to 1/2 inches)
- Bevel: 45 degrees
- Depth of cut: 6 inches
- Warranty: 2 years
WEN 3962: Features
- 3-in-1 dust port fits dust collection systems with 1.75-inch, 2.75-inch and 4-inch hoses
- Beveling table makes angled cuts of up to 45 degrees
- Accepts 72-inch blades from 1/8-inch to 1/2-inch in size to meet the specific needs of any project
- Included 25-inch stand keeps saw elevated for easier operation
- Flexible work light illuminates work space for enhanced accuracy and safety
- Onboard miter gauge allows for cutting along precise angles
- Stable fence ensures smooth, straight cuts
Pros and Cons of the WEN 3962
As with any Band Saw, there are going to be advantages and disadvantages when compared to other product options. This option is no exception. We would be remiss if we didn’t cover this hand planer from all angles. Below are some of the pros and cons that we have discovered with the WEN 3962 Two-Speed 10-inch Band Saw.
Pros of the WEN 3962
- Motor is both quiet and powerful
- Sturdy 25-inch stand adds stability and convenience
- Dual-speed design offers versatility
- Beveling work table includes generous work surface
- Fence and miter gauge ensure accurate cuts
- 3-in-1 dust port is compatible with most collection systems
- Two-year warranty and responsive customer service
- Outstanding value at an affordable price
Cons of the WEN 3962
- Tension knob is poorly-constructed
- Saw can struggle to complete resaws in thick woods
- Thinner blades can slip during operation, causing misalignment
- No carrying handle to enhance portability
Our Verdict on the WEN 3962 Two-Speed 10-inch Band Saw
The WEN 3962 Band Saw is a powerful, well-rounded tool that offers outstanding value for its modest price tag. Though it may leave professional-level crafters wanting for additional power and features, the saw is perfect for entry-level woodworkers and home improvement aficionados looking for a solid band saw that won’t cost them a fortune.
Its two-speed operation adjusts to meet the demands of various projects, and its design can accommodate multiple blade sizes to handle different material types and sizes. The flexible onboard LED light provides excellent visibility, and the reversible fence and miter gauge ensure accuracy and consistency in your cuts. A generously-sized beveling work table and high-quality stand make the saw a pleasure to use, and the helpful WEN customer service team is always ready to assist with questions or challenges.